What is cupping?
Cupping is a widely-used technique that involves applying a vacuum to the skin in the form of a glass or plastic cup and air is removed. The cup is either left in place for several minutes or moved around the affected body part providing a pleasant massage-like sensation.
The cup draws blood to the area, nourishes the muscles, removes stagnation from the area and helps to relieve pain.
The treatment can also be used to aid the immune system and encourage the release of symptoms such as coughs, colds, stuffy nose and breathing difficulties.
Cupping does leave a bruise-like mark on the skin, but this will usually disappear within 2-3 days.
Benefits of cupping
- Encourages overall circulation
- Alleviates adhesions by lifting, separating and hydrating the muscle tissues
- Clears inflammation, congestion and stagnation of the skin, muscles, bones, joints and organs
- Reduces pain by releasing tension
- Rebuilds healthy tissue and helps the body to regenerate